As we’ve learned in Accessibility Principles for ICT, we can apply universal design to fields outside of architecture and web products. CAST, a nonprofit education research and development organization, built up the field of Universal Design for Learning (UDL). UDL is a educational framework of principles, guidelines, and checkpoints that works towards one goal: create expert learners who are:
- strategic, and
What are the principles of universal design for learning?
There are 3 principles of UDL. Each principle has 3 guidelines. Each guideline has a list of checkpoints.
- Provide multiple means of representation: Recognition Networks, the “What” of learning.
- Offer ways of customizing the display of information.
- Offer alternatives for auditory information.
- Offer alternatives for visual information.
- Language & symbols:
- Clarify vocabulary and symbols.
- Clarify syntax and structure.
- Support decoding of text, mathematical notation, and symbols.
- Promote understanding across…