Key words- helicopter parenting, eustress, neurotrophins, interleukins, immunity, creativity
What is overprotection?
It is excessive protection or shielding. In other words, it is excessive restriction of a child’s behavior allegedly in the interest of his/her health and welfare by an anxious, insecure or domineering parent. A helicopter parent (a cosseting parent) is one who pays extreme close attention to the child’s experiences and problems particularly in educational institutions. They hover overhead overseeing every aspect of the child’s life constantly.
Disadvantages of overprotection
- Limits a child’s independence. Children are less able to regulate their own behavior.
- Parents try to bear all the trouble. Children do not become responsible adults.
- Cannot face odd situations where they need to take instantaneous decision.
- May lead to teenage rebellion due to excessive discipline.
- Often lose opportunities as they are prevented from venturing out to far off places. They have to…
View original post 723 more words